Friday, January 7, 2011

A Stitch in time.....

Award winning young Danish designer Siren Elsie Wilhelmsen has designed this amazing clock


The knitting clock project was designed to measure & register time in a three dimensional form to visualise the otherwise invisible time factor , which connects us all.


The project can best be described as a merge of a knitting machine and a cuckoo clock.


Each passing of a half hour is marked by the knitting of a mesh , a full day is registered in 48 hours and a year results in an approximate two metre long scarf......

HERE'S THE MATHS !



1. Would you have the patience to wait a year for the scarf ?
(it probably knits faster than I could , so yes)


2. I wonder does it cast off automatically ?
(something as a child I could never grasp)

3. If the idea is to visualise the otherwise invisible time factor , time must go really really slow dont you think ? 
(maybe it would be a great meditation tool or would it be like watching paint dry ?)

I never cease to be amazed by peoples ideas , inventions & designs and wonder why did I miss out on this amazing  gene pool .

Karyn x

Images & script description from www.timetodesign.eu


P.S   I finally increased my computer speed yesterday & I can finally blog again ! 




2 comments:

  1. That is faster than I can knit, but no way would I have the patience to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so unique! I sympathise with your slow Internet issues - have had similar problems here this week. Enjoy your weekend x

    ReplyDelete

Love reading all of your comments.
Karyn x